Frank "Buddy" Dunn founded the company in 1925, when he opened a wallpaper store in Los Angeles. The business expanded as he added a line of paints, and later (with two employees) he began manufacturing his own paints in the backroom of the company's second store. In 1938, he partnered with his friend, Arthur C. Edwards, a former painting contractor and pigment salesman, to form the Dunn-Edwards Corporation. Sales immediately improved, and a business philosophy was born: Make the finest line of paint, and give the best service, at fair prices. It is a philosophy that endures through this day. In June, 2011, Dunn-Edwards consolidated all its manufacturing and distribution operations by opening a new paint manufacturing facility in Phoenix, Arizona. Dunn-Edwards was awarded the coveted LEED Gold Certification for its new manufacturing facility.