(Last Updated 10/28/2010)
These editorial policies are a reflection of Dex One’s efforts to build, maintain, and promote a quality product for our advertisers and their prospective customers. Dex One may modify these policies at any time in its sole discretion. Please review the most recent version of these policies prior to adding or modifying any content.
Your appearance on sites other than DexKnows.com is subject to the policies of such sites, and Dex One does not guarantee your appearance on any site.
Minimum Profile Requirements
You may not submit content that:
- Business Profiles must be in English.
- Any website or social media links on a Business Profile must have a relevant landing page. The landing page must not contain nudity or sexually explicit content.
- Website URLs may only appear on the designated link on the business profile and will be removed if included in any additional fields or in any logos or graphics.
- Website URLs must link to a working website and be relevant to the business.
- Advertiser email addresses may only appear on the designated link on the business profile and will be removed if included in any additional fields or in any logos or graphics.
- All videos must directly represent the business and not focus on general topics. Videos branded with any name other than the business name, DexKnows or YouTube are not allowed and will be removed.
- All logos and images must directly represent the business. Standalone certification, affiliation or award logos may not be used.
- Logos and images may not contain email addresses, URLs, or telephone numbers and must otherwise comply with editorial policies.
- All service area and category selections must be relevant to the business.
- Attributes should accurately represent products or services offered by the business.
- Only one telephone number is allowed to appear on a business profile and will be removed if included in any additional fields or in any logos or graphics. Fax numbers are allowed to appear in the business description only if the number is clearly labeled as a fax number.
- Only one address is allowed to appear on a business profile. Additional addresses will be removed.
- All business names should accurately reflect the actual name under which the company conducts its day-to-day operations.
- A physical street address must be provided for each profile even if the option to hide the address from appearing on the profile is selected. P.O. Boxes are not allowed and will be removed.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Weapons Advertisements:
- Is illegal, offensive, threatening, false, or misleading
- Contains profanity (including gestures and symbols that represent or imply curse words), derogatory terms or verbiage not normally used in polite conversation
- Promotes sexually suggestive content involving children, teens, underage models
- Promotes or depicts non-consensual activity
- Depicts adult/sexual/pornographic images
- Promotes or depicts prostitution
- Promotes online gambling websites, or websites that directly support or facilitate illegal online gambling
- Promotes illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia, miracle cures, or products designed or advertised to change the results of drug tests
- Promotes online pharmacy sites unless the advertiser is a member of the Pharmacy Checker Licensed Pharmacy Program and provides a valid PharmacyChecker identification number
- Promotes the sale of fake documents or counterfeit goods
- Promotes the sale of fireworks or explosives
- Promotes or depicts acts of violence or human suffering
- Advocates against any person, organization, business, industry, etc.
- Promotes the sale of human body parts, organs, or fluids
- Promotes the solicitation of funds
- Promotes file sharing or peer-to-peer networking sites
- Promotes link-only sites or third party Cost Per Click (CPC) ad resellers
- Promotes template sites for ad networks, including without limitation, products and services that create templates or pregenerated websites intended to profit from ads, bulk marketing, spam, cable descramblers, black boxes, dialers, computer hacking or cracking, or modification chips.
Dex One allows advertisements for alcohol, tobacco and weapons to the extent that such advertisement otherwise comply with these policies. However, other search engines may not allow advertisements for alcohol, tobacco and weapons, and Dex One does not guarantee the appearance of such advertising on any site.
In Illinois and Florida, Business Profiles for adoption agencies or adoption-related services must include the state-issued license for the agency. This requirement also applies to lawyers in Florida but not in Illinois.
Additional General Profile Editorial Requirements:
- Business Descriptions should be written in sentence form and are limited to 3500 characters.
- Business Description content should not be copied from existing web sites.
- Taglines are limited to 80 characters including punctuation. If the tagline is written in sentence format, a punctuation mark is required at the end.
- Standalone company names may not be used as a tagline.
- Word lists may not be used. This includes geographies.
- Repetitive custom attributes, search terms, or keywords may not be used. This includes geographies.
- Use standard capitalization in business descriptions. Do not capitalize entire words (unless trademarked) or the first letter of every word in a sentence.
- Competitive claims must be supported. Do not use general superlatives such as “best,” “lowest,”“#1,” “cheapest,” etc. unless these claims are supported by outside sources.
- Use proper grammar and spelling.
- Use one space between sentences.
- Do not use excessive or unnecessary punctuation. No improper or unnecessary abbreviations.
- Acceptable – Want quick results?
- Unacceptable – Want quick results @ low price$???
- Repetitive words may not be used.
- Acceptable – Fast, easy and effective!
- Unacceptable – Results are fast, fast fast!
- You must respect the intellectual property, privacy and publicity rights of third parties.
A good tagline catches the eye of the consumer and prompts them to want to call a business. Taglines are limited to 80 characters (including spaces).
There are several types of taglines that are equally effective in attracting consumers. Following are some examples:
Additional tips for creating effective taglines:
- Testimonial – Family owned and operated since 1926.
- Command – Shop local and save money!
- Question – Looking for peace of mind? Call us today.
- Need, Want, Desire – A wise choice today for a better lifestyle tomorrow.
- Benefit – The convenient alternative to moving and storage!
- News – All glass is not created equal!
Effective Business Descriptions
- Use contractions: change Do Not to Don’t
- Replace “and” with “&”
- Use appropriate shorthand; change “Northwest” to “NW”
- Do not use multiple punctuation marks
- Do not reuse the company name as the tagline
- If written in sentence format, end each tagline with punctuation
A business description concisely describes what the business offers and who they serve. Business descriptions are limited to 3500 characters (including spaces).
A business description is an important part of a profile. A well-crafted profile is concise yet precise, describing all the important details about a company so readers understand the company’s mission, products, services, personnel and uniqueness. An intriguing business profile can engage and attract consumers that are ready to buy. A less interesting profile can drive consumers to competitors.
Business descriptions are meant to detail the company's primary function and provide an accurate account of the features and benefits the business provides to its customers. Consumers buy benefits not features. A feature is how a product or service is useful or provides utility to the consumer. A benefit is something that the product or service possesses that sets it apart from other similar products and services. A description of the features and benefits associated with an advertiser’s products and services adds value. Features without benefits leave consumers to figure out why they want the feature or what the value of the feature means to them. Features need to be described, but just as importantly, so must the benefits. This is one of the key ways of bringing consumers to the business owner’s door.
The preferred format for business descriptions includes an opening paragraph, a list of 4-6 key features of the business, a second paragraph containing additional information, and a closing call to action.
A well written business description should provide relevant information about a business that will prompt a consumer to want to buy. Key information in a business description should:
Following is a good example of a well-written business description in the preferred format:
- Describe the primary products or services offered by the business.
- Describe where the business is located or the area that the business serves.
- Describe something that separates the business from others in the industry.
- Name something that the business prides itself on.
- Describe the company philosophy, business objectives and/or goals.
- Describe the business’ specialties.
- Outline the business’ years of experience and benefits they offer ready-to-buy consumers.
Smith Aluminum Fence Creations offers quality ornamental fencing to New Haven, CT. At Smith, we add character and excitement to homes and businesses with our solid, attractive, ornamental fencing and gates. If you're interested in a good-looking, well-built aluminum fence, we provide a wide range of options to satisfy your needs.
In addition to ornamental fencing and gates, Smith offers:
- Standard fences
- Interior and exterior railings
- PVC fences
- Custom aluminum products
- Dog kennels
As a licensed and insured fencing contractor, we work safely and carefully. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and our goal is to treat each customer with the care and attention we give our own families. Family owned and operated since 1975, we are proud so much of our business comes from referrals given by satisfied customers. We believe good relationships stand the test of time and will do all we can to earn your trust.
Call us today to be sure your fence installation is done right the first time with the professional personalized attention you deserve.