Located just 35 miles north of San Diego, with a population of roughly 170,000, Oceanside is the third-largest city in San Diego County. With 3.5 miles of beaches and an average temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit, Oceanside is a popular vacation destination. The city has been rated second-most ideal for climate in the United States and fifth-most ideal for climate in the world.
ECONOMY AND INDUSTRIES
The establishment of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in 1942 brought an influx of military personnel and their families to the Oceanside area. Camp Pendleton is the largest employer in north San Diego County, and the base also houses many tenant units and training schools. In addition to members of the military stationed on the base, more than 38,000 military family members occupy its housing complexes. Surrounding cities, including Oceanside, provide additional employment, services and housing for military families.
Oceanside is also home to a number of biotech companies, a large sporting goods manufacturing sector, and a healthy agricultural community. Tomatoes, avocados, citrus, nursery stock and flowers, all thrive in Oceanside's warm climate.
Oceanside's Tri-City Medical Center is another of the city's top employers.
Visitors to Oceanside should take time to check out the many area attractions:
- California Surf Museum is an internationally recognized museum dedicated to preserving and chronicling the heritage, art and culture of the surfing lifestyle.
- Mission San Luis Rey de Francia was founded in 1798 and is the largest of the 21 California missions established by the Spanish along El Camino Real and is known as the King of the Missions. It has a picnic area, museum, and gift shop, as well as a conference center.
- Oceanside Pier: The 1,942-foot-long pier is one of the longest wooden recreational piers on the West Coast. The pier is a popular fishing location because no license is required to fish there.
- Oceanside Harbor: The harbor is home to hundreds of boats, as well as shops, restaurants, boat rentals and deep-sea-fishing operations.
- Camp Pendleton: The base is known as a recreational paradise for military families and has also earned a reputation as an ecological oasis.
- The Top Gun House: The house in which Kelly McGillis's character lived in the 1986 movie is located at 102 Pacific Street in Oceanside. It is actually an 1887 Victorian home built by a retired physician.
- The Buena Vista Audubon Society Nature Center: Adjacent to the Buena Vista Lagoon in Oceanside, the center offers guided nature walks and classroom programs that educate visitors about the lagoon's unique environment.
- A variety of attractions are also located a short distance from Oceanside, including the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, Sea World, Legoland and Historic Old Town. Tijuana, Mexico, is also a short drive from Oceanside.
ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT
- The Sunshine Brooks Theater is a 1936 building that has been restored as part of the revitalization of downtown Oceanside. It is currently the home of the New Vision Theatre Company. The company puts on a variety of performances throughout the year.
- The Oceanside Museum of Art, located in downtown Oceanside, presents contemporary exhibits by local and international artists. The museum also offers art instruction, chamber music, lectures and workshops.
- The Kruglak Gallery is located at the MiraCosta College student center and offers a range of art exhibitions, workshops and symposia for students and the general public.
- Oceanside Harbor Days are held annually in September at the Oceanside Harbor. The two-day event features arts and crafts, exhibits, food, and entertainment.
- Golf with a Hero. The Oceanside Chamber of Commerce holds this annual event, which allows business and community leaders to spend the day golfing with a Marine from Camp Pendleton at the base's Marine Memorial Golf Course.
- Marine Corps Birthday Reception: The Marines of Camp Pendleton have been toasted at Mission San Luis Ray every year for the past 48 years in recognition of the birthday of the Marine Corps.
- Oceanside Days of Art: Presented by the Oceanside Cultural Arts Foundation, the annual festival is held at the Oceanside Civic Center. More than 100 artists display their work.
- The California Surf Film Festival. The inaugural festival was held in 2008 to rave reviews; organizers plan to continue the event, which celebrates surf culture through surf movie screenings and guest appearances. The festival is a benefit for the California Surf Museum.
Four school districts serve the Oceanside area for grades K-12: Oceanside Unified School District, the Vista Unified School District, the Carlsbad Unified School District and the Bonsall/Fallbrook Unified School District. Oceanside Unified serves about 65 percent of the city's population, with 17 elementary schools, three middle schools, and two high schools.
MiraCosta College is a community college in Oceanside that serves northern San Diego County. Other colleges and universities near Oceanside include:
- Cuyamaca College (El Cajon)
- National University (La Jolla)
- Palomar College (San Marcos)
- Point Loma Nazarene University (San Diego)
- San Diego Mesa College (San Diego)
- San Diego Miramar College (San Diego)
- University of California (San Diego
- University of San Diego (San Diego)
The North County Times is the primary newspaper for the area.
Local TV stations include:
- XETV 6 (CW)
- KFMB 8 (CBS)
- KGTV 10 (ABC)
- KPBS 15 (PBS)
- K35DG 35 (Independent)
- KNSD 39 (NBC)
- KSWB 69 (FOX)