Located on Long Island in Nassau County, New Hyde Park is a village with a population of about 9,200 residents. The first settlers were of English and Dutch descent, and the village was simply called Hyde Park by the Dutch in 1624. Because there was another Hyde Park in upstate New York, the Nassau County city officially changed its named to New Hyde Park in 1871.
The town saw an influx German, Irish, Polish and Italian residents, followed by Jewish families in the 1900s. New Hyde park now has a mixture of ethnic cultures, and much of the town has Italian or Irish ancestry. Approximately 63 percent of residents are married couples with children. This area is renowned for its excellent education system. The village is primarily a commuter town with more than 78 percent of residents traveling to the New York metropolitan area for work.
The village is close to the villages of Mineola, Garden City, Stewart Manor and Floral Par. Some places outside the official boundary are often referred to as being in New Hyde Park, including a section of Queens, New York City.
The city of New Hyde Park is all urban. Neighborhoods and districts of New Hyde Park accommodate around 3,300 houses, out of which more than 3,200 are occupied. Of the occupied houses, more than 80 percent are owner-occupied, while renters occupy the remaining 20 percent. The median home price in New Hyde Park is much higher than the statewide median.
The majority of land in New Hyde Park is used for residences, mostly houses, though a small number of apartments do exist. The area near the New Hyde Park Station contains a number of warehouses and manufacturing plants. New Hyde Park also has a small shopping district.
New Hyde Park has an unemployment rate of 3.3 percent. The average salary for jobs and the median income of households in New Hyde Park is above the state average. Some of the most common industries for the residents of New Hyde Park include education, health and social services, and retail trade. Some of the largest employers include Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Forest Hills Hospital, Kimco Realty Corp. and Pathmark.
The village of New Hyde Park is governed by a mayor-council consisting of a mayor and four trustees. The village of New Hyde Park also has a Village Justice and an Associate Village Justice, a section of government outlined in the village law. The Village Justice must be a resident of the village and is elected to a four-year term. The Associate Justice may reside outside of the village and is annually appointed to hold office.
The Village Court of New Hyde Park meets at board meetings at least twice a month where proposed legislation is presented to the public at advertised public hearings.
For car travelers, New Hyde Park is located near the Long Island Expressway, Grand Central-Northern State Parkway, Union Turnpike and Northern Boulevard.
For bus travelers, New Hyde Park can be reached via the North Shore Towers Express Bus and the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority from Manhattan. For local bus transportation, residents of the village of New Hyde Park use the City Line bus system.
By train, New Hyde Park is located approximately 40 to 50 minutes from New York City's Penn on the Long Island Railroad.
Please check your email for an activation link from Dex Customer Service. If you do not receive the email within an hour, check your spam folder.
Please enter your email address so that we can send you an email with a link to change your password..