Frye Regional Medical Center

DexKnows Rating: 1.0 stars (2)

1 3rd Ave NW
Hickory, NC 28601


Friday 24 Hours (show)

Monday: 24 Hours

Tuesday: 24 Hours

Wednesday: 24 Hours

Thursday: 24 Hours

Friday: 24 Hours

Saturday: 24 Hours

Sunday: 24 Hours (hide)

35.735416 -81.338

Is this your business? Claim it now!

MON 24 Hours TUE 24 Hours WED 24 Hours THURS 24 Hours FRI 24 Hours SAT 24 Hours SUN 24 Hours
Description: Established in 1911, The Frye Regional Medical Center is a 335-plus-bed private facility that has expertise in the areas of health care services. It maintains a staff of more than 1,700 physicians. The center features heart, cancer, rehabilitation and neurosciences centers. The Frye Regional Medical Center physicians perform traditional open-heart surgery and minimally invasive procedures. It is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities and specializes in range of outpatient therapies. The center additionally provides computed tomography scanning and rehabilitative services. The Frye Regional Medical Center offers a range of cardiothoracic, neurovascular, surgical oncology and ophthalmic surgeries. It is located in Hickory, N.C.

Additional Contact Information

Fax: (828) 345-5755

Toll Free: (800) 784-3793

Click Stars To Rate
0 / 100
0 / 4000
0 / 30
0 / 100

Unprofessional Physicians

by redangel , 08/18/2014

Dr. Barker was contacted for help on a previous patient of his. Needed med adjustments and pysch eval. Dr.Barker was rude and hateful and even cussed profanity to the person inquiring his help. Very unprofessional and conceited. Do not recommend his services to anyone with feeling or compassion.

Horrible hospital experience

by carrieb. , 10/23/2013

Frye South Campus, Hickory, NC is a mental health/substance abuse treatment facility. My mother, who is elderly with many physical illnesses, recently spent 17 days there for mental health reasons. I am my mother's legal guardian & I expected some involvement in her treatment. Instead, there was a lack of communication that was totally unacceptable. I was not allowed to speak directly to her doctor, instead being directed to a "go-between" (social worker) who couldn't answer many of my questions or concerns. Sometimes the social worker didn't see the doctor for days, leaving notes for him & getting answers the same way. Many times I found the doctor's notes generated more questions which the social worker was unable to answer. Many times I had to wait days to get one question answered. Being able to speak to the doctor directly would have rectified this problem.Mom's doctor, a psychiatrist with a medical background, was also monitoring several serious health issues she had at the time she entered their facility (pneumonia, low sodium and potassium levels & anemia). The doctor spoke to me directly only once in the 17 days mom was there. He advised me that she was anemic & that he would do some follow-up tests. That's the only time I ever heard from him. He didn't contact me with any information prior to her release nor did he provide any medical records for me upon her release. Our family was left in the dark as to her medical condition upon release. As her legal guardian I am, by law, entitled to all her medical information & I should be informed of her medical condition upon leaving a hospital. The most disappointing aspect of Frye South Campus is the "mental health treatment" that she received for the 17 days that she was there. Their mode of treatment is treating patients like guinea pigs by trying them on medication after medication. There is no counseling or support groups provided. The patients have 2 main activities while there, sleeping or watching TV. Although I advised the social worker to advise the doctor of a certain medication that mom should be given as we had excellent results with it in the past, the doctor tried her on medication that she had taken in the past that either did nothing or had adverse side effects. I then left a letter for the doctor after mom had been there for a week telling him that, as her guardian, I wanted her taken off the ineffective medication & given what had worked in the past. I received no response at all to my letter. Finally, after mom had been hospitalized for 13 days, the doctor switched her to a medication similar to the one I had requested but with less side effects. I don't understand why he waited almost 2 weeks to do so. In the meantime mom's physical health had deteriorated. She was now using a wheelchair most of the time, which was not the case prior to hospitalization. Her lung disease had progressed considerably & she was frequently having episodes of severe breathing difficulties. We don't know how long mom was on antibiotics for pneumonia or if the pneumonia was even gone because she would have had to have a chest x-ray to determine that. We did find out, upon her release, that the doctor had taken her off of 2 of her breathing medication that her pulmonary doctor had recently prescribed due to her advanced lung disease. This would explain her difficulty breathing. Again, I was never informed as to the changes the doctor was making in medication that are extremely important to her physical health.I would NOT recommend this hospital to anyone suffering from mental illness unless they change their treatment mode. There should be daily groups, which would help discourage isolation. There should also be some form of counseling for patients to help them open up about their issues.

View all reviews for Frye Regional Medical Center